Thursday, December 10, 2009

How common is it it to develop soy allergies late in life?

I can't believe it, but it would appear that I am developing an allergy to soy. I didn't seem to have any problems before when I was just a regular old vegetarian, but since I've cut out dairy and eggs I have been eating a lot more soy (soy cream, soy milk, soy cheeses, on top of the usual soy meat substitutes and tofu). It's been about two months since I've increased my soy intake. About a week or so ago I started getting mild hives. They seem worst at night (like an hour or so after dinner where I usually get the most soy) and tend to go away for the most part during the day, but I had tofu for lunch and didn't have a very severe reaction, so I don't know what's going on. I am going away for the night tomorrow and plan on eating a lot of soy so that I can rule out an allergy to my cat. I typically do not have allergies, although I did get hives a lot when I was a kid. Does it sound normal to get an allergy late in life like this? Are hives a common symptom of soy allergies? Thanks!



How common is it it to develop soy allergies late in life?dream theater



Yes, allergies and intolerances can develop at any point in life! The most common known causes of onset are: digestive infection, a period of prolonged stress, an accident/physical trauma, or just plain having too much!



I developed a wheat intolerance when I was about 12, but it took me about 12 years to fully realize what was going wrong with me. Wheat is fine for 95%+ of the population, just like soy is probably good for 95%+ of the population, but to me, its a real danger.



The complications of an untreated food intolerance are extreme! Vegetable proteins are actually very complicated and I believe from a chemical perspective, it is the plant's last defense against being eaten. Some people suggest that real Tofu that has been fermented properly is easier to digest. Genetically modified and raw soy protein additives would be the worst. Modern farming techniques put intentional stress on the plants to increase protein yield, some percentage of these proteins are defensive and attack anyone who tries to eat them. Your body can only handle so much based on genetic, and other factors.



Other risky foods are dairy, wheat, corn, soy, tomato, and citrus. Too much reliance on one can leave you vulnerable to intolerance. Try an elimination diet for a few weeks and see if you start to feel better. After regular consumption of a food you are intolerant to, it can take up to a year to reach full healing!



How common is it it to develop soy allergies late in life?performing arts opera theater



I don't know anything about soy, but I did hear before that your body changes every 7 yrs., so it is a possibility for you to become allergic to something late in life.
I really have no experience with it... but now that I'm exploring other things more, I'm trying to limit my intake of soy to tofu and the occasional tvp commercial product. I don't buy into all the crazy propaganda released against soy, but I do have a hunch (as with many things in life) too much soy can be bad. I just tried almond milk again this last week...the first stuff (dont remember brand) had ginger in it for some reason - I pick up flavors like this way too easily so it was too strong for me.. but we tried almond breeze.same people who make those diamond almonds and its monumental. The chocolate milk ( just tried tonight) is fantastic. I'm still more won over by my hemp milk though because of all the extra nutrients it has.



I don't know if the run a fork across your wrist and rub technique would work for this..but get some fresh podded soybeans and break em apart a bit, then rub on your wrist..see if you get any raised bumps.
Soy products are dangerous and should be avoided. Constituents of soy block the absorption of minerals and inhibit enzymes. Consumption of soy has been linked to birth defects, brain damage, thyroid disorders, and many other problems. Products made with soy milk increase mucous production.



Soy is one of the ancient sacred four plants of the Chinese, but not because they ate it. They used it to fix nitrogen from the air into the soil for other crops. The Chinese did not consume soy until they figured out how to ferment it and make it digestible. These products are miso, soy sauce and tempeh. Soy cheese, soy milk, soy oil, tofu, and texturized vegetable products are an extremely recent innovation. In China, tofu, like meat, is not consumed in large quantities.



Huge money is involved in the form of large agricultural concerns and food manufacturers so you won't hear the truth about soy in the mass media.



You can become allergic to foods at any age. You may simply not have noticed allergic reactions until you changed your dietary choices.



An easy, delicious, and healthy alternative to soy milk is cashew milk. Place two cups of cashews in a good blender. Add cold water to just below the level of the cashews. Blend until creamy (this made be used as is to add body and creaminess to all kinds of dishes). Add more water while blending until the blender carafe is full. If you want it sweeter, add a couple of tablespoons to the carafe while it is blending.
Due to the genetic modification of most soy, a British study has concluded that modified soy can be the cause for the onset of many allergies as an adult. Google "roundup ready soy" for one example. Like most foods, soy has been spliced with the DNA of other species of plants to make it more growth tolerant and pest resistant. Once it was introduced to the common market, there was a 60 percent increase in adult onset allergies to wheat, soy, corn, eggs and dairy. Keep in mind that soy is the primary feed fed to livestock for food, so many people become allergic to meat as well. Often, these "allergies" are diagnoses as arthritis, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and other illness, when, in fact, just avoiding the allergen will prevent symptoms. Hens are often fed soy as well, making eggs allergens as well. I know we talked about this yesterday, but I dont think enough people are aware how scary the whole genetic modification of food is, or how widespread it is. You assume that the head of lettuce you buy at the store is "natural" but chances are that it, like most other produce, has been genetically modified. Try keeping a food journal (free online at nutridiary.com) and keep in mind it can take up to 36 hours after consuming a food to show an allergic response. I hope it works out for you.
Hi,



From what I can tell, this isn't very common. According to WebMD, soy allergies are most common in infants. They also write that adults to sometimes suffer from a soy allergy, though it is rare.



The Cleveland Health Clinic agrees, writing that "although soy allergy occurs most often in infants and children, it can appear at any age and can be caused by foods that had been previously eaten without any problems."



So, while it isn't common, it does happen. Be sure to see your doctor about possible solutions. A nutritionist may also be able to help you develop a "soy free diet" should you need one.



thanks,



Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
mobility scooter