Thursday, December 10, 2009

Do you think it's ok to tell your landlord the reasons why your rent is late? Even if it's

Now, I'm not talking about getting way TOO personal... but just a general idea of what's been going on in your life. Normally I would say this isn't a good idea. But my own rent is late for this month. And my lease says that you can just pay by the end of the month with a $25 late fee. Plus my landlords have seemed like reasonably nice guys, and they keep up the buildings etc. (In other words, they're not heartless slumlords, heheh.)



So at first, I didn't think to tell them my personal reasons why my rent would be late. I thought, "They don't need to know that." But a couple days ago my landlord came by to ask me about it. He wasn't rude, but just sounded like he wanted to know what was going on. I was in my towel so couldn't open the door, and it was a little awkward. So now I have written to them to tell them what's going on, and also let them know that I'm not planning to blow off my rent.



So what I'm asking is...would that just be annoying? Or would they wanna know?



Do you think it's ok to tell your landlord the reasons why your rent is late? Even if it's a bit personal??plays



Since your landlord came by and you stated they seem nice, it seems that your landlord was being genuinely concerned.



(Sometimes when you have paid your rent the landlord's staff can mis-place your check - so I think your landlord just wanted to make sure it was not their error)



As long as you have the money to pay them and you do not foresee having a problem next month, I would not give them detailed personal information.



However, if you feel that this will be an issue in the future (since they like you) I would discuss it at a minimum level level now before next months' rent is due. (If this is the case hand-deliver your late rent check to them).



Some landlords will work with you WHEN they know you are having personal issues (without actually knowing all of your business). But if they feel that you have misguided intentions they will be less likely to believe you.



Remember they are running a business and they are depending on your rent check to pay their bills.



Put yourself in their shoes - how would you want to be treated?



Do you think it's ok to tell your landlord the reasons why your rent is late? Even if it's a bit personal??opera ticket opera theaterhttp://answers.yahoo.com/quest... Report It


Just tell them it IS something personal. If you want to make it up, how about paying next month early?
TMI - just the facts madame. It's late. That's that.
they don't want to know. If they ask, tell them, but don't volunteer any extra info
I am a landlord and I would be happy to know why, everybody has their problems, and money is about 90% of peoples' problems. Go for it. It certainly wouldn't hurt.
If your cool with your landlords, and they ask about it out of courtesy, then yeah, its ok for them to know whats going on if you don't mind telling them. But you already did it, so it doesn't really matter.
get ready to pay, they are in business to make money. They have heard it all.
I'm going to be honest with you...as a landlord..I couldn't care less why your rent is late! I just want to know when I will get my money anything you tell me I will consider to be just an excuse



Excuses are tools of incompetence



Used to build monuments to nothingness



And those that specialize in them



Are seldom good for anything



But Excuses, excuses, excuses.



Just tell him when he can expect his money, assure him that this will not be a habitual thing, and keep it moving!
They want to make sure it's an isolated event and it will pass, tell them, that way when you're looking for you next place and you have to use them as a referal thety don't mention your little lapse in not paying
Only if you feel it's needed to improve any perception that your landlord may have about the situation. Really all you need to do is let them know when you can pay the rent. Usually the proceedures in this situation are allready in place so there is little wiggle room for a manager to excercise initiative.This also depends on where you live.
I've rented ALOT in the past and I can tell you from experience if you don't mind telling them and its a good reason it will certainly look better on your behalf. I know alot of people say they don't want to know, but you said it ALL when you said they weren't slumlords. There are actually landlords who come upon housing as not only a means to turn money but also as a means to help out people such as your self. Thank God for them, Huh? And let me tell you it does NOT say alot for thecold monry grubbing individuals who "just want there money", I can only hope people like that at some point in their lives get a chance to walk in anothers shoes who needed either help or an extension and NOONE gives it to them. (they sort of remind me of SCROOGE hehe)
I use to rent out a house. All I ever ask was just to let me know what was going on. Most Landlords will work with you. We just want to kept informed, just say it is of a personnal matter. He will understand.
Believe me, if you are paying late every month and paying the extra $25, your landlord could care less. The reason he probably came by was to ensure it was not due to something in the unit not working properly and he probably didn't want to see moving boxes either!



Basically, taking your landlords time with stories is bothersome unless your landlords are the busybody gossip type.



You could just say that due to personal reasons, you had to spend the money elsewhere, yet understand that you now must pay an extra $25 and are ready to do that. Since you are willing to do that, the landlord could stand to make an extra $300 per year on late fees, which only helps him as that's a higher rate of return than would be a month of interest if you paid on time.
If you have never been late with the rent before then try then tell your story of why you couldn't pay. Maybe they'll waive the fee. It doesn't hurt.



If anything, I'll just be honest with the landlord. If you're going to be late, call before the due date and inform the landlord. Otherwise, the landlord think you are shrinking your duties to pay.



good luck
As a landlord, I agree with most posters here - the reason behind your late payment doesn't matter.



Make up for it by not being late again for a long while (or ever if possible!), or maybe paying your late rent this month with a card (we get that a lot - while it doesn't waive the late fees, it does help us to know that the renter realized they were late and are sorry - personalizes the situation and makes us feel less evil about the late rent notices!)



Just a thought. Hope it helps! Good luck!
I'm a landlord myself and would appreciate the extra explanation. However, I wouldn't want to know all the dirty details of your life.



What's the most important thing to know however, from a landlords perspective is not WHY it is late, but rather when they can expect payment from you. Assurace of receiving it sooner rather than later is key.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
mobility scooter