Thursday, December 10, 2009

Best route across country from Seattle to Wash. DC in late December??

I am planning to drive from Seattle to DC in late December in a '05 Camry. Should I go Seattle-Salt Lake City-DC on I-80 or go Seattle-LA-TN-DC ? I am mainly worried about getting snowed. I was looking and the southern route also has mountains upto about 7000 feet. Is this route bad during winter? Or is the Salt lake route even worse? Any other route suggestions are welcome. I have about 7-8 days to make the trip.



For the car (~35k miles right now), any special service required apart from oil change, tire rotation? I already have my 30k service done and have new tires with about 2k on them. Also, do I need to carry tire chains?



Best route across country from Seattle to Wash. DC in late December??events



The best route to have little chance of snow is I-10 across the southern states, then make your way north towards DC after you cross the Mississippi.



If you take the northern routes you will be required to have chains when crossing the mountains in the snow.



Best route across country from Seattle to Wash. DC in late December??home theatre opera theater



Check your tire pressure. Balance your load not too much weight to the rear of the rear tires. Check the weather forecasts for whole trip and plan the best route as weather dictates. If you are going up in elevation or heading into bad weather just lay over a day and wait.
Well, regardless of the route you decide on there is a good chance of running into snow.



I-80 or I-70 part of the way is a good choice though. Chains may help.



And purchasing a good CB radio is also not a bad idea. Can get the ones that use a cigarette lighter for power, and a magnetic roof mount antenna. Keep on channel 19 of course. An inexpensive tow rope might be beneficial.



All major truck stops have TV鈥檚 tuned to the weather channels. Might consider getting gas and food there,



Keep your gas tank always at least half full. Keep extra warm clothing in your vehicle.
I lived in Montana for years; lots of people preferred the northern route in the winter as the weather changes less. Several years ago, I traveled halfway across the continent, but hit snow in Arizona going to California and hit snow in Texas coming back.



I-80 ends up in San Francisco. I-90 runs from Seattle. Listen to all the weather forecasts and check on the internet. I would suggest going over on I-90 and perhaps catching I-29 south to Omaha, Nebraska. But that will depend upon the weather. If there is a storm, was a storm, or a storm is impending, go south on I-5 and across on I-10.



Pack blankets, water, all the winter emergency stuff and keep in your car. Tire chains are always good. Make sure your tires are good for such a long trip. Check with your dealer; you probably don't need anything else.



Going through Salt Lake is not the big problem; the worst parts of I-80 are Donner's Pass (California-Nevada) and east of Laramie in Wyoming; at 8,600' + it is the highest point on I-80.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
mobility scooter